May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer. It is also the most preventable. One in five people in the U.S. will develop skin cancer at some point in their lives. If caught early, most skin cancers are treatable. Watch an interview with renowned surgical oncologist, Dr. Mark Faries, on skin cancer treatment and research.
Use these five sun safe tips to help prevent skin cancer:
1. Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 – preferably a reef friendly, mineral based sunscreen. Click here to buy John Wayne Cancer Foundation sunscreen.
2. Protect the top of your head, face, and ears – Wear a hat.
3. You can get skin cancer in your eyes and on the skin around your eyes – wearing sunglasses helps protect your eyes.
4. Wear protective clothing that cover your arms and legs.
5. Seek shade particularly during peak daylight hours between 10 am and 4 pm
Click here for more information about how to Block the Blaze.